Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Your cupcakes don't need to be homemade



If you follow my writing, or have ever received coaching from me, you have often heard me refer to "getting aligned with your priorities and values."  You may also catch me lovingly poking fun at moms who make perfect homemade cupcakes (symbolic of over-achieving moms who try to do everything and make the rest of us look bad)!

A wonderful real life example came to mind this week, and I wanted to share it with you.

My kids were psyched to come home and show me all of their Valentine treats they received yesterday.  Most of the contents in the bags were store bought Valentine cards- with perhaps a pencil or piece of candy attached to it.  My kids each brought home a few goodie bags, and a couple of homemade cards.  The one that really stood out was 3 handmade paper flowers assembled in a bouquet, with bows and tissue paper.  Wow... and to think she gave this gift to 20+ kids in the class.  Seeing the contents in my kids' bags prompted me to ask the following question on My Mama Mojo Facebook Page:

What kind of mom are you?
A) Made homemade Valentine cards or goodies for every child in your kid's class.
B) Attached a cute pencil or candy to a store bought Valentine.
C) Handed the store bought Valentine card to your child and let them figure out what to do with it
D) Forgot or opted out

The responses I received ranged from a self proclaimed "annoying over-achiever who made damn cute Valentine's"- to a mom who handed her kids paper, markers and scissors.

And do you know what???? It is all OK.  What isn't OK, is doing something out of guilt, expectations or competition.  If making homemade goodies for your child's classmates is fun for you-then great, do it!  If it is a chore or something you think you "should do", then ditch it and find something more fulfilling to do with your time.

Don't let your perceived expectations of motherhood define who you think you should be. Figure out what is important and meaningful to you and own it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment